Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Decisions

So yesterday I had a non-stress test and the amniotic fluid levels were checked over at the hospital before I went to be checked by Dr Steele at his office. The nurse started with the amniotic fluid levels which they determine through ultrasound. It was sure nice to see my baby again after 20 weeks. Baby girl didn't make things easy as they measured for fluid though. My fluid levels were at 7.1, which is at the bottom of the normal range. So not scary, but something to watch. Baby girl did great during the non-stress test, which is where they monitor her heart rate for 30 minutes and see how she does during contractions and that her heart rate goes up as she moves around. I did have contractions during the test so that's a good sign I think. Anyway I then saw Dr Steele and he checked my cervix. And what do ya know, I'm still at a fingertip and my cervix is high (which is what it has been for like 3 weeks now). Very discouraging to say the least. The other thing Dr Steele said was that my pelvis is a little more narrow and that is labor would be VERY difficult for me considering everything else going on, and that he foresees us having to have this baby cesarean. So what now??? There are a few things that can happen now. 1-I can wait and have another non-stress test on Friday, and IF my levels are the same wait it through the weekend (which my doctor will be unavailable during) and then see what happens next week. 2-Just schedule a cesarean now and be done. 3-Wait and have another non-stress test done on Friday, and IF my levels are at a 4 be induced or have a cesarean then (with the possibility of not having my doctor). Well after taking the night to think (and cry) over everything and talking to my doctor again, I think we have a plan. I'm going to take care of myself by drinking more water and resting as much as possible the next few days (in other words do everything I can to keep baby girl in there and keep my fluid levels as high as I can). I am going to call into Maternal Fetal Medicine and see about doing my non-stress test as early as I can on Friday (on the off chance that my levels are low) and see what happens. I have a feeling my levels aren't going to go from a 7 to a 4 by then especially if I stick to my plan and rest and pamper myself the next few days. And if baby girl hasn't come on her own by Monday schedule induction if my cervix is more favorable or schedule a cesarean. I feel like this is the best option for me and this baby. It will allow her some more time to drop and "cook" and me a chance to not have a cesarean. I have nothing against having a cesarean, but I do know that a cesarean means a little longer recovery and potentially issues down the road in future pregnancies. I don't feel like I HAVE to have a vaginal birth in order to have a good birthing experience or feel like I will be missing out on something by not having a vaginal birth. I wish I could be more certain about what will happen over the next few days, but am trusting my instincts as well as my doctor. When I told Dr Steele my idea he thought that would be a great plan. He actually has another patient who is kind of in the same boat (first baby, same levels, etc) and she ended up going into labor last night so things could always just happen on their own. The important thing is that we end up with a healthy baby and I pull through this healthy or at least in good condition anyway. So... everyone cross your fingers and send good vibes for me and baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment